As discussed in the past presentation about my project, I have
been striving to clarify and narrow down the topic for my theses project. It
has taking me a while to try to accomplish this; starting with a broad topic as
urban sprawl, it has been difficult to decide what rout to take within this
extensive topic. Choosing a designated location for the project has also been
something that I have struggled with for the past weeks but I have finally
stablished an ideal of the projects location. As mentioned in last week’s blog post,
after giving a lot of thought, the location that I decided on for the project
is Boise Idaho. It is a city that I know quite well and an area to which I have
been part of for over a decade.
Boise is a city that has been greatly affected by urban
sprawl and I have been part of that experience. Every time seeing Boise and the
surrounding cities growing more and more to the outskirts of the city limits
and covering extensive land. Creating more suburbs, each time making the
residents of the area more dependent on unsustainable habits that make living
in these conditions possible. The sprawl of the city has been taking place for
over a decade according to my experience living there and it does not seem to
change any time soon. No one seems to be doing anything to try to put a stop to
the uncontrolled growth of the “city;” it seems as if the Boise residents like
their suburbs and they enjoy living in an environment that is consuming incredible
amounts of resources.
Taking this brief analysis about the city of Boise in
consideration and their ideal of keeping their suburbs as part of their living
environment, the only action that is left to do is try to make the existing
suburbs better places to live. The problem caused by urban sprawl is to big
already in this area and it is impossible to revert. With this project, I will explore options of
how to take the existing damage that has been done with the suburbs of the area
(probably focusing in an area of the city in particular), and doing
interventions to make the suburbs more efficient and creating communities that are
self-sustainable and probably trying to densify them.
Over all, I think that the clients and the user needs for
this project are still very general at this point of the project. Density is
needed in the suburbs of Boise, having some type of mixed use developments
integrated to the suburbs could potentially help densify these areas of the
city. If I could find a way to integrate dense development to the suburbs it
could be an asset in trying to counteract urban sprawl. When I say “dense
development,” I am certainly not talking about taking high rise buildings to
the suburbs; it would be more about integrating multi story developments (3-5
stories buildings) that concentrate in bringing mixed used building into the
suburbs. Integrating mixed use to the suburbs would be the first move to try to
make the suburbs better communities. Why? Because it would start to use the
land in more than one form, it would be breaking the building patter from a
single purpose building environment into a mixed use environment. As I said
before, the needs for the clients and the users stays very general at this
point, but I will concentrate on bringing architecture design that provides:
housing, office, retail and community space to the suburbs. I think that by
introducing this uses to the suburbs it would help activate the zones and maybe
bring jobs to the residents. This way they could potentially rely less on the automobile
for some of the residents and transform the suburbs into communities that
connect better. It can result in creating smaller centers apart from the city
that help support the suburbs.
You are telling me the same thing I know over and over - commit. I don't care what you don't know; use the blog to test specific directions.
ReplyDelete