During the past few days I have continued the research about
urban sprawl and how communities that have and continue to experience this
problem are dealing or have dealt with it. Some of my findings include
information about a movement and a type of community design called smart
growth. The idea of smart growth is basically designing dense communities that
meet all the necessities of a successful community. It includes living,
shopping and amenities in a densified area, making this possible by utilizing
mixed use developments to accommodate all these components into a smaller area
than a suburb or groups of suburbs. I also found information about ways to
counteract sprawl and revert the inefficient land use caused by sprawl. In the
examples I found about how to counter act the negative effects of sprawl, there
they were infilling spaces in the extensive land lots use for some of the
buildings and developments. They specifically where focusing on infilling large
parking spaces or green areas that were between building complexes or large
city mall centers. They infilled those spaces with new buildings that were
dedicated to mixed used instead of having them be single use buildings.
After finding out about these, I thought it was interesting
how they were trying to better the build environment by utilizing the wasted
space left by urban sprawl. It was also interesting how they took advantage of
this aspect of urban sprawl and use it to in some form, densify the areas and
from what was there, create communities that are self-supported and better
connected with their contexts and the population that occupy them.
The project takes place in the Boise, Idaho area; meaning
that the project will be dedicated for the Boise community as a whole. I still
do not have a specific location for the project but it will remain within the
city limits of Boise. At this point the targeted audience and population
remains general, but as I progress in the investigation of the topic I want to create
a project that impacts the community of Boise, the surrounding cities and towns,
and hopefully people from farther regions. I want to produce a project that has
a positive effect in the community and that can potentially serve as example to
follow as we think of new designs or existing ones.
I think the way that you experience the project is by
understanding the thought behind it and why it is being completed. It could
also be experience by seeing the difference of the before and after of the
changes that were made; having the opinion of what worked better if the
previous or the new design. It would be interesting to record how the community
of a suburb reacts and changes its behaviors, if changes were made to their
living environments. How would people that have lived in suburbs for long periods
of time would react to living in denser areas? How would their behavior and
daily activities would change? How would their living experiences would change?
No comments:
Post a Comment