Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What is the project About?

The topic for my graduate thesis project is in regards of mixed-use developments; the interest on this topic began through my undergraduate career and from the fieldtrips we had through the university architecture program to cities such as Seattle and Portland. In these fieldtrips I got the opportunity to experience the urban environment of the cities and the form how they function architecturally. The way that buildings work in large urban space is fascinating; how different activities and functions are arranged and put together in the same space while maintaining the performance efficiency.

In addition, I have done research about the topic and from my findings I have discovered that mixed-use development is not a new topic and design typology. This building or design typology has been around throughout human history by giving multi use to homes and settlements. Mixed-use has had its shifts, there was a decrease when industrialization took place. During that time the focus was on the design and construction of single-function buildings, factories and manufacturing plants in particular. Now, this type of development has been put aside and the reappearance of the mixed-use development has been prominent once again during the past few decades.

What intrigues me about this type of developments is the level of complexity of the buildings’ programs, and how architects make them work efficiently. Imagining the amount of research and understanding that the architects have to do in order to integrate every aspect of the content of the building, and the demographics of the users comes to my personal interest. It becomes something I want to be part of as well.

Thinking about the central question for my project has been harder than what I thought it would be, nonetheless I have some set ideas that will help define the purpose and the question for my project. I have not yet defined the central research question for my graduate thesis project, but its content will involve topics regarding the impact that this type of development has in urban living, environment and the people that are part of them.
A question that I have thought of for my project is: how does mixed-use development affect the efficiency of the urban environment and life? This question intrigues me because it can take me into different directions. It can take me into the financial, business or community aspect of it. With these, another question generates and it is about if all these and other aspects tie together at some point.

The location of my project has not been decided on yet, but my idea is for it to take place in the city of Seattle or Portland. This is due to the fact that I have visited these two cities and their urban environment exhibits good examples of projects that relate directly to my topic of interest. Also, from my perspective, they are cities that have done a good job in their urban development. These cities have set a standard for their urban environment that has led to defining their identity.


1 comment:

  1. Alex, this is a well-trodden subject. So I am not sure that "mixed use" should be the focus; in other words, "how does mixed-use development affect the efficiency of the urban environment and life?" is a question that has been answered many times by many people. I am not saying that you should abandon the topic, but it feels super unfocused right now; thus not particularly "interesting," or convincing.

    ReplyDelete